NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY STATES AND D.C., AGE 18 OR OVER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. HOW TO ENTER. Work Stew’s July 2013–September 2013 Essay Contest (“the Contest”) is sponsored by Work Stew (“the Sponsor”). The Contest begins on July 1, 2013, and entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. PDT on July 22, 2013. To enter, email your submission (an “Entry”) to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Entry should be in the body of the email message (no attachments will be opened). There is no fee to submit an Entry. By submitting an Entry to the Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Terms and Conditions and acknowledges that the decisions of the Sponsor shall be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
2. QUALIFIED ENTRIES. To be qualified for the Contest, an entry must be created in response to the official prompt, which is:
“Bring us into your world. What is something about your work (past or present) that outsiders typically don’t understand? It can be something required by the job, something that happens on the job, something you feel about the job—but whatever it is, do not exceed 800 words.”
Really: 800 words is the maximum length for an Entry. In addition, the Entry must be wholly the original work of the entrant, written solely by the entrant; not have been previously published or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format; not be in the public domain; and not be in violation of or in conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity.
3. WINNER SELECTION. Judging will commence at the time the Contest begins and continue until all Entries submitted prior to the submission deadline have been reviewed. The Contest judge (the “Judge”) shall be Roman Krznaric and/or such other person(s) as may be selected by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. The Judge will choose three winners—a First Place, Second Place, and Third Place winner—from among a set of finalists selected by the Sponsor. The Contest Winners will be notified via email on or about September 15, 2013.
4. ELIGIBILITY. The Contest is open only to individual legal residents of the fifty United States and D.C., age 18 or over. Employees, immediate family members, and household members of either the Sponsor or the Judge are not eligible to participate. The Sponsor reserves the right to verify and confirm entrants’ ages and compliance with other eligibility requirements.
5. PRIZES. The one First Place Winner will receive a cash prize of USD1,000. The one Second Place Winner will receive a cash prize of USD400. The one Third Prize Winner will receive a cash prize of USD100. Prizes consist only of the dollar amounts expressly specified in these Essay Contest Terms and Conditions.
6. GRANT OF RIGHTS. By submitting an Entry, the entrant grants to Sponsor (i) the right to edit the Entry for grammar and spelling; and (ii) a non-exclusive, assignable, perpetual license to publish or produce the piece, in part or as a whole, on the Sponsor’s website or podcast. Entrant further agrees that the Sponsor shall have the first right to distribute the Entry unless the Sponsor waives that right, in writing, and provided that, the Sponsor’s first right to distribute shall automatically expire on December 15, 2013. ENTRANT RETAINS THE COPYRIGHT AND ALL OTHER RIGHTS IN THE WORK.
7. ENTRANT REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, INDEMNIFICATION, AND RELEASE. By entering, each entrant represents and warrants to the Sponsor that his/her entry is (i) completely the original work of the entrant and was written solely by the entrant, (ii) not copied from any other source or previously published or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format, (iii) not in the public domain, and (iv) not in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity. Entrant agrees to defend and indemnify Sponsor for any breach of the above representations. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotional partners and agents, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the officers, directors and employees of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Contest, including without limitation (a) claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of any prize and (b) claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright and/or trademark infringement relating to the submission or exploitation of the entrant’s concept.
8. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. By entering the Contest, each entrant grants permission to the Sponsor to use his/her name for Sponsor’s programming, publication, publicity, advertising and all other promotional purposes without compensation, review or approval, unless prohibited by law. The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend this Contest due to any cause. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, or delayed Entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of Entries.
9. GOVERNING LAW. This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of Washington without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Washington.
10. WINNER’S NAME. For the name of the Contest Winner, available after September 15, 2013, send an email to email@example.com. Responses will be provided to all requests made prior to December 15, 2013.