By Kate Gace Walton
As I think through how exactly to plug into the Rebel Alliance (yep, quiet as I’ve been since the election, I’m still preoccupied with that question), I want to firm up my “platform.” I think doing so will help steer me in the right direction. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
1. I want to fight hate and injustice. More specifically: I believe that Love is Love, Black Lives Matter, women’s rights are human rights, and immigrants are a big part of what makes America great.
2. I want to fight science-free, fact-free policy decisions. Climate change is real, and we should feel enormous urgency about addressing environmental concerns.
3. Socially/economically, I believe in a hybrid model:
- The world of business should be like the (idealized) world of sports. There should be clear rules, a spirit of sportsmanship (i.e. strong ethics), intense competition–and winners and losers. In the private sector, I see (and embrace) the strengths of capitalism, where only the fittest survive.
- Society more broadly should not be so Darwinian. Life is fundamentally unfair…society remains unfair in many, many ways…and we are a wealthy country working to build a more perfect union. Therefore, we should strive: 1) to create as level a playing field as possible and 2) to take good care of each other, at least at some basic level. In this spirit, I believe the following services should be nationalized/public:
b. Daycare (children and elderly)
d. Infrastructure/transportation (i.e. more people should be able to get to work without needing a car)
e. Defense/policing/detention (i.e. prisons should not be private)
More to come over time but if I run for office one day (vaguely thinking about it…), feel free to hold me to it.
What are your ideas? Whether you are thinking of becoming more personally involved in politics/policy or not, what’s your platform?
To weigh in, look for this same post on Facebook and comment there—or scroll to the bottom of this post, click on the red “Comment” button, and share your thoughts there.